Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Letter to Myself 10 Years Ago


It has been a really long time since I've written a personal post here, but a group I'm a part of on Facebook is doing a month of writing prompts. I definitely can't write every day, but I'll try to write posts on the topics that really speak to me. So, here's my first one! A letter to myself, 10 years ago. What do I know now that I wish I'd known then?

Dear 27-year old Liz,

I know you think that having a boyfriend makes you more complete, but you are a whole person just as you are. You don't need a man to make your life better. So don't settle. Really think about what you want from a partner. Remember that a tiger can't change his stripes. If a problem happens over and over without getting better, without any efforts to make a change, it's not going to change! 

In other words, dump the alcoholic boyfriend! He's not good for you! He's never going to realize he has a problem and take the necessary steps to help himself, so you need to get out before you waste three years on him.

Keep up the working out. You're doing well right now, being healthy, you're generally happy with the way your body looks. Stay in that place. It's easy to let yourself go a bit when you're in a relationship, but you won't be happy with yourself in two or three years. And it's just going to be that much harder to pick it back up if you stop now. It's going to be monumentally hard to make changes 10 years from now. Take my word for it!

Lastly, start saving and stop spending. You will not always have a good paying job. You will encounter difficult money times and having a truck load of debt on your shoulders makes life really hard.

I hope you take my advice! I've been there, so I know. :)

With Love,
37-year old Liz


No comments:

Post a Comment