Sunday, February 13, 2011

What I'm Reading

As many people know, I read a wide variety of books.  I like your standard chick lit, some paranormal-sci-fi-ish books, romance, mystery, and lately I've gotten into some YA.  For those who don't know what that is, it's Young Adult.  I know, I'm almost 34 years old.  Why am I reading YA books?  Because they're good!  Although usually incredibly easy reading for me, these are great stories told by great authors, some of whom write for adults as well.



Amazon recently recommended this book to me because of some of the other YA books I've read.  Matched by Ally Condie.  It is the first in what will be a trilogy (as it seems most YA books are lately).  It is set in a future society where everything is simplified for the population.  What that means is that all decisions are made for the characters.  The government determines where they live, their jobs, their matches (who they marry), when they have children, and even when they die.  The government has also simplified the world around them.  It has saved only 100 songs, 100 poems, 100 pieces of art, 100 history lessons, etc. for the population to learn.  Each person wears the some clothes, eats the same food at the same time, participates in the same few leisure activities.
It's a VERY different world from ours and it makes you really think about how wonderful life is when you can choose your own life and your future and who you love.  It also makes you think about how much superfluous stuff we surround ourselves with.  I'm sure we could all benefit from a little mucking-out. 
I can't wait for the next book in the series to see what happens to Cassia, Ky, and Xander.  I have to wait until November!  But there are MANY other wonderful books out there to read until then.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment