Friday, September 21, 2012

Ch...ch...ch...changes...

Lots of changes happening. Lots of changes. Some are sort-of okay. Some are seriously not okay. But I don't have control over it all, so I just have to roll with it right now.

First big change - I'm moving out of my apartment. It's definitely not my first choice, but it's what I have to do. My lease was up and when I got my renewal information, I saw they'd raised my rent. Again. I've lived here for three years and they've raised the rent every year, without making any significant improvements or changes. For example, since the day I moved in, my windows have been pieces of shit. I've complained and complained. Asked them to repair them, asked them to replace them. Other units have gotten new window, but never me. Not cool. In fact, I'm completely ghetto right now because I have a rolling pin holding open the window in my bedroom. Really. In addition to that, they cut down a bunch of 30+ year old trees a couple years ago and never planted anything new to take their place. Then, my complex was sold. The new owners got rid of all of the leasing staff that I had gotten to know pretty well over the past few years. The communication to residents became really sub-par. Even some of the maintenance people complained about the changes.

So, I don't really feel like paying more for the same old thing. Plus, with my job situation the way it is, I can't afford to pay more right now. I went in to the office to chat with them about moving to one of the larger one bedroom units. The unknown, unfriendly man was basically unwilling to find/make something work for me. My years of being a good resident meant absolutely nothing to this new guy working for the new owners. He told me that nothing was available, and even if something did become available, I'd have to pay a large transfer fee to change units. If that something became available before my current lease was over, I'd either have to pay to break my lease on my current unit, or pay the rent for both units until my current lease was over. I was shocked! You'd think they'd be more willing to work something out with a long-time, good resident. But, nooooo.

I told them I'd be moving out. I had no idea where I was going to go, but I definitely wasn't staying. I generally like the location of my apartment. It's really central to every place I go. And the rent is quite reasonable. Or at least it was.

Then John, the boss man, finalized his sabbatical plans. He's going to go to St. Lucia for the last three months of the year to "figure things out". He asked me to stay in his house while he's gone. Though my lease doesn't end until after he's already gone, I decided to go ahead and stay there. I won't have to pay rent for those couple months, though I will pay his utilities. I guess I'm just going to put all of my belongings into storage while I'm living there. Though, of course, I'm having trouble deciding what kind of storage option I want to use.

It will be interesting to live there. It's obviously much larger and much nicer than my current living arrangement. He's got a great kitchen, a big yard. But it's also a little like living in a museum. Some of his things are quite expensive and I don't want to touch them. Some of those expensive things are not exactly comfortable. I won't have cable tv there (eeekkk!), which will be incredibly difficult (ridiculous, I know). I know I can watch some shows on Hulu and dvds (he does have a tv). But I'm kind of a news junkie and watch numerous news shows every day - local news a couple times a day, the Today show, NBC Nightly News. Are any of those things available online? Live streaming of local news? And I often have the tv on just for noise while I'm doing other things. I know I could turn on the radio, but it's just not the same.

I have no idea where I'm going after that.

Not knowing, not having a plan is really difficult for me.

The other big change - and the most distressing one - is that with John going on sabbatical, I'm essentially losing my job. For almost six months I've been working part-time, but now my job will be going away almost completely. He told all of our clients that he's going away and that any big needs/projects to wait until he's back next year. He told me that while he's gone, he won't be able to sustain even the 16-20 hours per week I'm working now. He might need me to do a couple things now and then, but he thinks they can be accomplished in the evenings or on the weekend. (I'm not sure how that can work exactly if I'm trying to communicate/coordinate with people who work regular M-F, 9-5 jobs.) There is no guarantee that this job, this company will be available/around even when he comes back.

So, that's huge. I guess it's a good thing I won't have rent to pay for a couple months. But there are other bills that I need to pay. I need to have some income.

I've been looking for a different job for six months now. Originally, I was attempting to change careers, trying to get into the Recruiting field. It has proven very difficult. My Junior League experience doesn't mean anything or isn't enough to the people who want somebody with experience. But then my 14 years of career experience (even in a completely different field) makes me unattractive for entry-level jobs. Even when I know somebody, think I have an "in", it doesn't net me anything.

Because I haven't been able to make that work yet, I've also been looking for a different design job. And I haven't had much luck there, either. I'm trying all my contacts, all my connections, working all the angles. I always seem to be too late for the most promising options. Or, the options pay so little that I'm unwilling to commit to them. Yes, I realize that some money is better than no money, but it is so difficult to say yes to something that won't even completely pay the bills. I've got a few leads left that I'll work this week, but who knows.  I hope something comes up soon. I need something to come up soon.

There you have it. I don't know where I'm going to work. I don't know how I'm going to pay my bills. I don't know where I'm going to live. Lots of unknowns. Not fun for a control freak like me.



No comments:

Post a Comment