Saturday, June 25, 2011

What I'm Reading


This is the latest of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum novels.  I recently re-read all of them so that I could be up-to-date when this one came out.  I was honestly a little disappointed.  It seemed short and though it was still funny, it wasn't as funny as usual. 

For those who aren't familiar with these books, Stephanie Plum is a bond enforcement agent in New Jersey.  She's really not that good at it.  Lula is her usual sidekick and the two of them get into some of the most ridiculous situations.  She has a crazy grandma who loves going to showings at the funeral home.  She's in love with two men - Joe Morelli and Ranger.  They are both awesome.  She is constantly blowing up her cars and people are constantly breaking into her apartment.  It all makes for fun, light-hearted, fast reading.

Stephanie and Lula usually have some seriously hilarious hijinks and dialogue, and it just wasn't the same this time.  While I appreciated Stephanie's scenes with Ranger, her scenes with Morelli were a bit lacking.  The book jacket teased us that Stephanie was finally going to make a choice between Ranger and Morelli, but of course she didn't.  I always read through these pretty quickly, but this one I got through in one night.  And a work night at that.  I'm wondering if it was rushed to publication to try to satisfy the eager readers? 

The 18th in the series comes out in a few months, so hopefully that one will be better.  Don't get me wrong, I still totally recommend this series to people.  It is laugh-out-loud funny, sometimes ridiculous, but always entertaining. 

No comments:

Post a Comment