Sunday, June 12, 2011

4 Things I Love This Week

Although this week has been incredibly busy at work - two nights of working late, working last Saturday, a presentation, my boss going out of town, etc. - there were some really great parts of the week, too.

1.  Potager, where we went for dinner on Wednesday night.  Yum YUM YUMMY!!!  We went after our successful presentation to celebrate.  For those who don't know this restaurant, it is in Capitol Hill at 11th & Ogden - just three blocks from where I used to live!  Their menu changes monthly, based on what the freshest ingredients they can get are.  They grow a lot of their own herbs and veggies.  My boss knows the owner, Teri, and the baker, Jane.  We started with a bottle of fabulous California Pinot Noir, the Risotto Fritters and the Sugar Snap Peas - wonderful fresh yummy.  I had the Proscuitto Wrapped Pork Loin - omigod so good.  It has a chopped salad like topping of asparagus, potatoes, currants, almonds and capers and though I don't really like asparagus, the bits were so small that I could eat most of it and actually really enjoyed it.  For dessert we had a Rhubarb Crisp with salted caramel ice cream and Lemon Pound Cake with Rhubarb ice cream.  I've never had Rhubarb before because I always thought it had the texture of celery.  Boy was I wrong!  The tart flavor that it has was a wonderful complement to the sweetness in a crisp.  I'm a convert!

2.  Shoes  These are the shoes I got for Kristen and Stacy's wedding.  My dress is mostly pink, so I wanted pink shoes.  I wasn't finding exactly what I wanted in the stores, so I ordered these from Boden, where I got my dress.  They recently came in and I love them!  The wedding is outdoors in the grass so heels weren't an option.  I also didn't want flats, so wedges it is.  Most of the wedges out there right now are really high, which I usually love, but since I'm going to be wearing these for hours and standing in them the majority of the time, I wanted something a little lower.  These fit the bill.  They are actually really comfortable and pretty!

3.  The Secret Circle  is a new TV show on the CW, well actually, it's scheduled to start in the fall.  It is based on the books of the same name by L.J. Smith, which I read back when they first came out in 1992 (!).  I loved these books, and the TV show loosely follows the same general premise.  Cassie Blake is a high school girl who doesn't know that she is really a powerful witch.  She moves to a new town where her family is from and finds the rest of her witch circle and her powers manifest.  But there are some differences, too.  In the books, the town in set in the north east, near Salem and where most of the witch stories of early US took place.  In the show, they are in the north west.  In the TV show Cassie moves to this town because her mom dies, but not in the books.  In the TV show the circle is complete at six members, in the books it's thirteen.  I assume they couldn't have a cast that big for a brand new show.  I think I'm going to miss those characters because they provided a lot of fun and growth for Cassie in the books.  I really like the actress that plays Cassie - Britt Robertson.  She was on another CW show I loved that got cancelled - Life Unexpected.  Hopefully they do as good a job with this show as they've done with Vampire Diaries, based on another set of books by L.J. Smith.


4.  Emmylou Harris - Hard Bargain

 
I absolutely love this new album from Emmylou Harris.  Her voice is absolutely beautiful and soothing and soulful.  My absolute favorite song is Lonely Girl, it touches my heart, but the entire album is great.  I highly recommend it.  Here are the lyrics to Lonely Girl:

It seems to me lately
The days are growing shorter
The years are going faster
And time is flying by I wake up in the morning
And before I even notice
The sun is going down
And I'm left to wonder why

I'm a lonely girl in a lonely world
I never thought my life would be like this
To have no one to hold my hand
And feel once more a sweet caress

I'd give it my best effort
Love is always worth it
But even if I try
I might still end up alone
It may not be in me
To take what love could give me
Some of us are better off
To make it on our own

As a lonely girl in a lonely world
And though my life has been so blessed
I have no one to hold my hand
And feel once more a sweet caress

I've had my share of lovers
And cared for many others
I always thought there'd be
Another one to come along
But if love can't find me again
I'll put it all behind me then
I'll just go and learn to sing
Another sad love song

About a lonely girl in a lonely world
She never dreamed her life would be like this
To have no one to hold her hand
And feel once more a sweet caress


Check these things out, you won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment