Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Dating Game

I have found that it is incredibly difficult to meet datable people in this day and age.  I am not a clubber or bar-goer, most of my friends are married with children and know no single men with which to set me up with, my work life is filled with women and gay men, so really that leaves.....the internet.

According to the media I've heard, 1 in 5 relationships now come from online dating sites.  I actually believe it.  One year I attended four weddings.  3 of the 4 couples met online.  To be honest, I've tried it before.  I went out with three people, the third guy stuck.  It resulted in a 3-year relationship.  After that relationship ended, I tried a few set-up's that weren't so successful and then decided to take a break from it all. 

With my advancing age (34!) I decided that if I ever wanted to get married and have kids, I needed to get out there again.  Last time I did match.com; this time I tried eHarmony.  I honestly haven't really liked how this site works.  If you use their "guided communication" steps, it can take forever to get to the point of actually talking to or emailing with a match.  And I don't truly believe that I "match" with 8 people every day (they send you your daily "matches").  I especially didn't match with the 5'4" guy who is a janitor, enjoys dungeons and dragons, metallurgy, and collecting coins.  I mean, really?!?!

But lo and behold, I'm finally going to meet someone that I met on their website.  And I am freaking out about it.  It has been so, so long since I went out on a first date.  I can barely believe how long it's been.  I used to date a lot.  It can't be that hard, right?  But the thought of putting yourself out there to be rejected by someone scares the bejesus out of me.  I think that's why I've waited so long to do it.

The last time I did the online thing I wasn't so scared about meeting who is essentially a stranger.  But that was 6+ years ago.  Since then I've heard so many awful stories about horrible things that happen to people in these situations; the world is a scarier place.  But I'll be safe.  I'll make sure someone (Michelle) knows who I'm meeting, where, and what time.  I'll call her afterwards to tell her I'm okay.  It'll be fine.

I'm very excited to meet this guy.  I hope I haven't jinxed it by writing about it.  And now I just hope I don't have an anxiety attack before then.

No comments:

Post a Comment