Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Clock is Ticking



And by clock, I mean my biological clock.  For many, many years I didn't even want kids.  My fiance and I decided we didn't want kids.  My last boyfriend and I determined we didn't want kids.  But then something started to change for me.

Towards the end of our relationship I actually started feeling some slight urges of wanting children.  I actually starting liking some of my friends children, when before they had just been nuisances.  I realized that I might actually want them for myself someday.

In less than two months I turn 35.  Trying to conceive after age 35 is more challenging than when a woman is younger because there is a decline in fertility.  Women will often not ovulate during their regular cycle, and egg quality and quantity decline in your 30s and 40s.  Miscarriage is also more common in women over 35.  There is a 20-35% chance of miscarriage, and it is often caused by an increased incidence of chromosomal abnormalities.  (It is estimated that 10-25% of all pregnancies in any age woman result in miscarriage.)  It can also take a woman longer to get pregnant after age 35.  The average time it takes to conceive is 1-2 years.

So, here I am at almost 35.  No husband, no boyfriend, nobody I've even texting with who could become a boyfriend, and absolutely no prospects.  My eggs are getting older by the hour.  It will likely take me a long time to meet someone who I'd even think of marrying and having kids with and then it will probably take me a long time to get pregnant.  I could be 40 before it happens!  I don't even want to look at the statistics for conceiving after 40.

So that means I need to get busy finding someone.  What fun it will be telling any suitors that I want kids and that I want them soon!  Well, here goes nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment